The logo of the New York Football Giants has changed numerous times since the team’s inception in 1925.
The Giants’ logos have always been based on three main motifs: a “giant” quarterback about to throw a football, the written word “Giants”, and different styles of the written lowercase initials “ny”, which stands for New York.
Up until 1961, the Giants used the “giant quarterback” as their official logo. Variations of the quarterback had him throwing behind New York City skyline, Yankee Stadium (where the team played for numerous years), and finally Giants Stadium, where they played until 2009.
In 1961, the lowercase “ny” was first used, and was worn on both sides of the team’s helmets in white lettering. The “ny” was replaced in 1976 by the word “GIANTS” written in white italicized bold text. This change was inspired by the Giants’ move to New Jersey, although their name did not change.
In 2000, a revitalized blue and red “ny” (shown as white on their helmets) became the primary logo, causing some controversy since the team had physically moved to New Jersey. Giants owner Wellington Mara assured the public that the new logo was not a slight to New Jersey.